Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Potsdam Palaces

So, pretty much every moment I ask myself, "Why did it take me so long to do something like this?"  But I won't worry about that now.  I'm here now and that's all that matters.

Sunday, I took a trip out to Potsdam.  It's this wonderful, old-fashioned village with a huge park that is filled with palaces.  That's right -- palaces.  Apparently Frederick the Great (I can't really tell you for sure which Frederick that was; it seems that nearly every male royal figure in Germany's past was named Frederick) used this town as a summer vacation spot back in the 1700s.  Thus, he built a number of palaces, some for himself, some for family members, and others for visitors.  Seriously, it's basically just a neighborhood of palaces.  Plus this really awesome church (called Peace Church):

Peace Church was a very peaceful place.


There were even real, live swans.

 
I took a tour in a horse-drawn wagon of the area, but the only palace I went inside this time (I will be back) was the Schloss (Palace) Sanssouci.  It was high up on a hill with loads of steps and none of the pictures I took quite did it justice.
See?  It looks so tiny up there.


It's a really cheery shade of yellow.
"Sans souci" -- French for "without care/worries."  Apparently Frederick the Great was obsessed with French culture.

It was good Frederick could be there.  I bet he was telling these nice people all about French stuff.
The place was filled with fancy gold-embellished rooms like this one.

My very favorite was the final room of the tour.  It was a very "naturalistic" style for the time period and incorporated moldings of flowers and animals.
I loved the flower-covered chandelier.

I've really been liking yellow lately.  It's just a nice, happy color.
See the monkey?

Potsdam is one of my new favorite places.  I definitely plan to visit a few more times while I am in Germany, if only just to tour this, the Neue (New) Palais:

3 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures!
    Sounds like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until you get to Munich. All the nobility were Ludwig(s).

    I'm also loving that flower chandelier.

    I think I'll be sending an email your way shortly....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave by yourself....so glad your mom told me about this sight. My son mentioned that there is a trip to Germany with his school that he was interested in. I will look forward to your adventures.

    ReplyDelete