Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In Anticipation of Choir Tour 2012

Last year, even though I am not Catholic and even though I have not sung in a choir since my first year of college, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to join the Basilica of St. Mary Cathedral Choir.  The Basilica of St. Mary is a huge and lovely building in Minneapolis, built over 100 years ago (about the closest we can get to an old cathedral here in the Midwest) and I am honored to help provide music for its services.  I forgot how much I enjoy singing in a choir and this choir is good.  The first night of rehearsal I kept dropping out of songs so I could listen to the talented voices of those around me and I could not believe they had actually let me in to sing with them!

Last July, while auditioning for a part in the coveted soprano section, the choir director asked if I would be interested in participating in a tour that following summer -- a tour that would perform in cathedrals around Belgium and France.  I think I said something along the lines of, "I would really, really, really, really love to, but I can't afford it."

Well, the choir tour leaves 9:30 p.m. this Friday night and I still can't afford it.  However: I am going to be on that plane!!!!  Renata's going back to Europe!  It's a whirlwind 9-day trip, crammed so tightly packed with concerts and mass appearances, that I don't even know how I'll fit in much sightseeing.  But, get this:  We're going to be singing at Notre Dame in PARIS!  Am I driving you crazy with all my italicized words?  Well, sorry.  'Cause that's just how my mind is working right now.

We will not be going anywhere near Germany so I won't be able to bring back "German Renata." We are, however, going to Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp, Tielt, Ghent, and wrapping it all up in Paris.  I'm contemplating at this moment whether or not people will notice if I sort of "forget" to get on the shuttle that takes us to the airport that final morning.  Or, what if I "accidentally" lost my passport?  I'd totally have to stay forever, wouldn't I?

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment